About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Extra Quilt Begun

Today's Block Count: 0

While I didn't get any blocks done today, I did finish up my rows for my Second Tumbler Quilt, so I need to focus on putting those rows together tomorrow.

I also cut 2.5 inch neutral strips today for my Cobblestones Quilt. I also pulled all of the dark strips I will need (or at least a majority of them). When doing a lot of strip piecing with uneven strip lengths, I like to measure my strips as I set them aside to be used. I calculate the total length I need and I add 1 inch for each of the strips I use (to try to help with the offset that happens when strips have leftover ends that are not big enough for the subcuts, but were counted in the original measure). I only measure 1 of the fabric sets, so for this one I measured the darks since that made it easier to get a good variety.

Tomorrow, I will aim to get those strips subcut. I think I will cut 9 strip sets at a time then they will be nicely paired for a block.

I also was reminded of another challenge I wanted to do (I'm a sucker for Challenges). This one is the #SewmyStash2017firstchallenge. The idea for this one is to take a fabric or a bundle that you love and have been holding on to for the "perfect" project and make something with it. If we make a quilt, it just has to be a top. So then, I started going through my fabric in my head (why is it these things always seem to come to my attention at bedtime...) trying to decide what some of my "precious" fabric is. I came up with: 1) my Blueberry Park Layer Cake, 2) my pokemon charm pack, 3)my Lizzy House Butterflies Fat Quarters, 4) my Dragonflies Layer Cake, and 5) a yard of a Zelda fabric.

I think I've decided to try to use 3 of these. The first will be the Zelda fabric. I want to make a pillowcase for Spencer for Valentine's Day. If I cut the cuff a little bit bigger and the main part a little smaller), I might even be able to make a second one for me, using the Zelda Fabric as the cuff instead. The other 2 I want to use is the Blueberry Park Layer Cake and rhe Dragonflies Layer Cake. I found 2 patterns on Moda Bakeshop, Mosaic and Colorweave. I'm not really sure which one to use where...but I think right now I'm leaning more toward Mosaic for the Blueberry Park, and Colorweave for the Dragonflies. What do you think?

So my goals for tomorrow are (in no particular order):
1. Finish Sweat Day 8
2. Sweat Day 9
3. Sweat Day 10
4. Sew Day 5
5, Sew Day 8
6. Sew Day 9
7. Sew Day 10
8. 4 Black and White 365 Blocks
9. Subcut Cobblestones Strip Sets
10. Sew Tumbler Rows
11. Zelda Pillowcase
12. Dishes
13. Laundry
14. 15 minutes cleaning in my sewing room
15. 15 minutes cleaning in my bedroom
16. Sew more strip sets

I think it looks like I might need a 48 hour day, but hey, if I push for the goal, maybe I can get quite a bit done before bed tomorrow.

1 comment:

maggie fellow said...

i really like the zelda project - how cute