About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Back in the Saddle

Today's Block Count: 347


Today's block count may seem a bit high, but really it includes a ton of Half Square Triangles. I finished marking and sewing my Charm Square HST, so that accounted for 235 (yeah I know my count was off on this one...but I'm going with it...). I also finished up 71 Tri-Rec's Units for my Bonnie Colored En Provence (which should be all of them...unless I screwed up my count there too). Then there were 6 Lozenge blocks finished. As well as, 37 of the Half Square Triangles for the next part of En Provence.

I did manage to get quite a bit of sewing in today. As I was able to mark something off of my to do list for today, I gave myself permission to sit and sew 25 seams. It really worked to keep me focused. It also got me caught up on laundry and I sorted through some things in my sewing room. It was also one of the days of the week that I talk with my mom...so that helped me put quite a few more blocks through the machine.

Now the rest of the post is going to be fairly boring...but as I was working in my room, I unearthed quite a few projects to add to my list. So I want to get them recorded here, and on my current project list.

 This is some of the string blocks for Bonnie Hunter's Pfefferneuse. Instead of Brown Strings, I am doing red, and instead of red quarter square triangles I'm doing blue. There are just these 2 blocks to trim and depaper and the strings will be done, and I have strips cut for the quarter square triangles (and a couple sewn).
This was one of my Christmas Presents to myself. It's the Moda Thicket Kit. I fell in love with it at the December Epic Sew Day and knew it had to be mine.
This is parts for a quilt called Sixteen in the Spotlight. A lady in one of my Facebook groups designed this quilt as part of a 2 inch strip series she did. She does a lot of quilts for charity in Poland and had a couple of trash bags of 2 inch strips to use. So our Facebook group decided to do this quilt as a quilt along.
This is my oldest UFO. This was started in December of 2011 and was my first quilt ever. My mom wanted to show me how to hand sew hexagons and I was hooked. All of my flowers are done for this one, I just have to add them around the sides. It will be queen sized when finished. I had originally planned on giant King, but have since changed my mind. I do have plans to hand quilt this one when I finally get the top done. It's a flower garden with a green grass background.
 This is the last blue string block for Bonnie Hunter's Blue Skies. And the beginnings of the gazillion half square triangles involved. Strings were a favorite of mine to take to Epic Sew Day for a bit because they didn't require a lot of brain power. I still have most of the yellow strings to go, but I had started on the triangles because I needed the strings that I get when cutting strips on my accuquilt.
 This was the beginnings of my La Passacaglia Quilt from Milliefiore Quilts. The plan is to do each cog a different color, and pull from my scrap bins. This us as far as I've made it so far.
 This is the first 4 blocks for Susan-Claire Mayfield's That Town and Country Quilt. It is all applique and often the quilt that Nate has asked that I work on. It will be fun to go back to this one eventually.
 This is a stack of my Splendid Sampler blocks. This is a good example of the colors I'm using in mine. I very quickly got this with the others, and feel glad that the box is more complete again.
 This is my Rainbow Quarter Square Triangle Quilt. This was designed as my mom and I were talking one day about whether or not we wanted to join in on Bonnie Hunter's Leader/Ender Challenge for the year.It may not look like much now, but it is looking just like I wanted. I also think it will become clearer to see the idea with each round I add. It alternates quarter square triangles and string borders.

My mom and I also joined in a swap with another friend for the quarter square triangles to get one like Bonnie has planned, so that's another on my list.
Finally, (though only the end of this batch...) These are the bonus triangles I have acquired (and not nearly all of them). When I get the urge I work on pressing and matching them. Then if I have enough for whatever half square triangle block I want to make at the time, I'll make up a couple. My plan is to put them all together in what I'm calling my Triangle Studies Quilt. It will more than likely just be a Kitchen Sink Quilt with a Triangle focus.

Also hiding under the cookie sheet in the tub, is random orphan blocks that have been gifted to me in bags of scraps and are awaiting pressing and then will become an Orphan Block Quilt or Kitchen Sink Quilt.

Also, in that tub is my second tumbler quilt. The first was all florals, and this one is using the same size tumblers, and started from the leftover tumblers that could be cut from the fat quarters I used for the first one. It will be all scrappy, and just needs some more tumblers to be cut (I had run out of 4.5 inch strips).

Now, if you've made it this far, I applaud you. I'm a little nervous to really see what I have in the works, but the more I uncover, the more I realize why my room is a bit messy most of the time. Do you have some UFOs that you've been hiding? Do you have a goal for them? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

maggie fellow said...

fun blog post. It looks like you have been on a treasure hunt:)