About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Guinea Pigs

For a few months, we had guinea pigs. Our first one was a birthday present for me last September. We have since gotten two more and gotten rid of all three. We got rid of them because we could not get their smell under control. It really didn't help that we had to have two cages since two of the boys could not get along.

In the large open cage, we had Odin and Fritz. Odin was the white, black and brown one. His name came because he had the black spot over one eye, which made me think of Odin (also known as Wotan) from Norse mythology, who traded his eye for wisdom. Fritz was mostly black with a tuft of brown on his crown. Having already gotten Odin, I kept thinking of Frigg, his wife. However, I do believe in giving males, male names, so then I said that it looked like he had a spritz of brown on his head, which led to Fritz. Little did we know at the time, how jumpy he would be for the duration of his stay with him. By the end, we joked that Fritz was always on the fritz.

Our third boy was Jack. He was a really pretty dark brown and white, that had a satin sheen to his fur. He was definitely the most friendly of the bunch. He liked to come and see us whenever we walked in the room, while the others ran and hid.

Now that they are gone, I miss them. But I also have to admit I feel much better. Their fur got everywhere, which made my allergies act up. It was most definitely not fun. Having them also led to another project which I will blog about later.

Until Next Time.

No comments: