About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Guinea Pig Cage Liners



While we had guinea pigs it was a constant fight to try to keep the mess and the smell to a minimum. This is not a fight we really won, but we did get it down quite a bit.

We started with pine bedding, which the guinea pigs would kick up out of their cage, every time we walked into the room and they ran for cover.

Then we decided we needed a sturdier bedding that could be washed, and that the guinea pigs little paws could grip. This was accomplished using fleece and terry cloth to make a flat layer bedding sheet for them (fleece and 2 layers of terry cloth). I tried putting some velcro in the corners to hold it to the cage floor, but this didn't work.
This would have worked great if the guinea pigs didn't keep trying to burrow under the edges of the mat. We then added fabric to go up the sides of the cage to keep them from burrowing. And by we, of course, I mean me. To keep them from pulling down the sides we actually used binder clips. This worked really well. Nate thought it was great fun to take the binder clips off. Good thing we watched when he was around the guinea pigs.

Until Next Time.









No comments: