I completed all the quilts I planned to make for Christmas presents. These were started back in February, I believe. They were all random fabrics, with a focus fabric picked out for each small family based on the wife's favorite color. Each one consists of 9 patches alternating with a single fabric, with the focus fabric running through the 9 patches. While I was home in November, finishing these were our goals. The 9 patches were all finished, and they were in an appropriately arranged stack. But only one of the tops was fully pieced. In the 2 weeks I was home, I finished piecing them all. Mom quilted them. And I got most of the bindings done. This post is a bit picture intensive, since there were 8 quilts.
This was for my Mother and Father-in-law. Their color was blue.
This was for my Brother-in-law Brian, and his wife. Their color was green.
This one is for my Sister-in-Law and her Husband, son, and daughter, and the colors were yellow or green.
This one is for my oldest brother and his 4 kids. He said he likes all colors, so I actually had a fun print with surfing lizards in front of a cityscape that worked perfectly. It was mostly blue when cut into 2 inch squares, and you couldn't really see the lizards, so I made sure to add the last of the fabric to the back, so he would see what the fabric had looked like originally. This fabric was actually given to me after it's previous owner had won an ugly fabric contest with it. She was glad to be rid of it, and I thought it fit my brother quite well.
This quilt is for my mom and dad. My mom's favorite colors are yellow and purple, so I found a print that had both. My dad's favorite color is green, so we used green thread to quilt it, which looked really cool on the peach backing we used. When quilting it my mom used it to try a few different free motion flower varieties. She then had me quilt the last little bit. Here is a flipped picture of the bottom where you can see that I put "Katie heart Mamo." It turns out that using her longarm was not as scary as I thought it would be.
This quilt is for my Brother-in-law, Kevin and his wife. Her color was purple.
This quilt is for my brother, Andy, and his wife. They wanted red. I thought the black and white added in would give it a good Mickey Mouse touch (as my brother is a big Disney fan).
And this quilt is for my Brother-in-Law, Grant, and his wife, and 2 little boys. She said that her favorite color is either pink or red depending on the day, so I chose a fabric with green and a deep hot pink that looks almost red in some lights.
I really hope they enjoy them. It was fun to see how each one turned out so differently while using the same pattern for each. Merry Christmas.

No comments:
Post a Comment