About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Car Quilt-Straight Part 2

I told you I'd come back to this. When we last left our hero she was hanging from a cliff...oops sorry, too much Between the Lions.

I had just gotten to the part in the tale where I was cutting thousands of squares. Yes, it was in fact thousands. At that point, I had calculated that I needed 1872 2" squares and 233 5" squares between the two quilts. I got them all cut and ready to be randomized. Now I think I've mentioned this before but random and I are not good friends. So I used my friend Kendall the Kindle and found myself an app with a random number generator. This got quite the laugh at a recent Quilt Retreat. That generator and I have been good friends, as you can see from the picture.

On Sunday (3/17) I did a big push to finish my 9-patches. I thought I had finished. Then as I started to put them on my newly acquired foam boards I noticed a problem. Somehow it was turn out to be rectangular and only half the size I wanted. So I went back to my original math.

I wanted it 70" by 70" (ish, I think it's going to actually be 72"x72"). This meant a square of 16 blocks by 16 blocks. Since there are 2 blocks that means 8 blocks by 8 blocks of each, right? Well, that was my mistake. I divided both sides by 2, oops. I needed 8 blocks by 16 blocks. That meant I needed another 576 2" squares, and 64 5" squares. After cutting them, I realized my quilt was going to be lopsided (fabricwise) if I did even out the numbers of the 2" squares per fabric, so I had to go through and figure out which 9-patches to move. Luckily my random number generator helped again. Now I'm finally sitting with all of my 9-patches done, and I'm working on placing the 5" squares. My random number generator is helping again. Hopefully soon, I can post that the top is finished. I'm wondering if I should add a border around the outside or not. What do you think? If so, What color would you suggest? Please let me know in the comments.

May Fortune Smile Upon You.

No comments: