About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Sew my stash Precuts Challenge

This was a fat quarter bundle that I picked up in Cincinnati, Ohio when I went to the International Quilt Festival there with my mom in April of 2012. It was the end of a grand trip that Nate, My Mom, and I took, that included visiting my Aunt and Cousin in Tennessee, and a Cousin and her family in Texas, and of course ended in Cincinnati. This line was Garden Strings by Kim Schaefer. I loved the vibrant colors. I finally found a pattern for it when Amy Smart decided to host The Virtual Quilting Bee on her blog during 2013. I then set aside the bundle for when I would have time to start the project, but as most quilters seem to know, there is always one more thing to do. That one more thing actually became the Christmas quilts that I made that year for my family. So into the pile of waiting projects it went.

This year I decided I was going to drastically cut down on my fabric buying. So when #SewMyStash2015 started taking over Instagram, I started following and lurking. I was still using my stash and only my stash because I wanted to see how long I could go without buying fabric just to buy fabric. I can say that I have only bought fleece after an incident at Joann's, white to finish 1 quilt, and, a clearanced fat quarter bundle that has been backordered, since October 10th.

Anyway, I continued to lurk, but had not really gotten the hang of hashtags, so didn't want to go overboard. Well, when she issued the first challenge I jumped right in. Then when this precuts challenge came up, I started looking through my precuts, since I keep them all together, and rediscovered this bundle. I hunted down the patterns for the squares and went to town. It was hard to motivate myself to start cutting into the fat quarters, but once I did, the blocks went together super quick and easy. Now I can proudly say that I have another finished top, completely out of my own stash (with backing and a scrappy binding all ready, too) ready for quilting. Now I am beginning to gladly use the #SewMyStash2015 hashtag. Thank you Leasa. To find more on this challenge and to see what others have completed go check it out here or on Instagram with #SewMyStash2015PrecutsParty

No comments: