About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Sunday, November 03, 2013

Salsa

Around the time of my birthday I had someone give me 38 pounds of tomatoes. So I thought I would try my hand at canning some salsa. I found a recipe online that turned out to be perfect for me. I've always been really picky about my salsas.
 I did 1 single batch to make sure I liked the recipe, and then I gathered the supplies I needed to make more. These pictures of from that second day of salsa making. We had the supplies for 2 double batches, and still had tomatoes left over for BLT's and Tuna Tomatoes (something my mom introduced me to as a kid, tuna salad on tomatoes).

 First, I had to clean my kitchen, so that I would have room to make it (really wish my kitchen was a little bigger).

I had everything sorted and divided for the 2 different batches (only a double batch would fit in my pot), on the kitchen table. Then, I realized it was lunch time.
This definitely felt like one of those moments that wins you both good mom point ans bad mom points. My son was a real sport about it though. We had lunch on the floor.

I meant to get an after picture, too, but I forgot. However, I can say in all I managed to get 22 jars of salsa. It has been a big winner with my family. In fact, just the other day Nate and I were eating quesadillas and he kept asking for more salsa. I had given him a spoon to move the salsa from his plate to his quesadilla, and he kept spooning the salsa directly into his mouth and asking for more. At one point, I tried spooning it directly onto his quesadilla, and with a grin on his face, he spooned the salsa off of the top of his quesadilla straight into his mouth. He thought Mommy was playing a new game with him.

No comments: