About Me

My photo
I love to knit, read, and quilt. I enjoy spending time with my sons every day.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Big Decisions

Block Count: 9

 So because I was talking with my mom while trying to implement the writing for punishments thing for Nate, she said I had to write something 100 times. A few hours later, neither of us could remember what exactly it was supposed to be, but figured the gist was "I will obey my mom." So to be funny, I went ahead and wrote that 100 times so I could send her a picture of it. I did it while waiting for my kids to finish meals because they take forever because they are easily distracted. Now I'm going to try to utilize this method of cementing things in my brain as I do my scripture study. I'm going to write down the ones I want to try to remember, or I really think I need, and then during those times of waiting at the table, I will work on writing them a few extra times to really lodge them in my brain. Yeah, it probably is mostly busy work, but sometimes I get the feeling that I just want to write something and I don't know what to write, and I like the feel of the pen gliding over the paper. It also helped today to get Nate going on his writing that Mommy was doing it at the same time.
 100 Days. Block 31
 I made these 2 blocks last night for the Black and White 365 Challenge. They also led to some realizations and a pretty big decision. First off, that big block was supposed to be a 4 patch of matching bordered blocks using miters. Since the miters do not show up real well when using the same solid on both sides of the seam, I recalculated for straight uncomplicated seams. I also realized I'm getting really tired of the crazy number of seams in this quilt, especially since I have 2 quilts using the same pattern. So I told myself I could count the number of blocks I have and redesign the quilt based on that. It is a very rare thing for me to allow myself to make a quilt smaller than originally designed...and never this much smaller.
 100 Days. Block 31.
 This 6 inch block was another that I redesigned because I was tired of miters and that bottom right block is the block that was the final decision point. After this I counted 3 6 inch blocks and 72 3 inch blocks. And went to town drawing a layout during lunch.
 After lunch, I gave myself permission to go to Joann and use some coupons. First, (at the suggestion of my mom), to get a wide backing for the Wedding Quilt and I think this was a perfect grey for it. I have never bought wide backing fabric for a quilt. I usually piece my back, but I was really dreading it this time because I didn't think my fabrics really matched the front very well. I also got blue thread for quilting in the blue part of the quilt (which the top is actually done, I just haven't pressed or gotten a good picture of it yet), though I really am unsure how I will be quilting it. Then for the Black and White Quilt, I also decided it needed some bright pops of colors for sashing/borders. My inclinations were towards yellow or hot pink, and my mom suggested lime green, but the yellow won out because then I could give this as a gender neutral baby quilt at some point since it will be about 44 square.

This is the basic layout for the Black and White Quilt. I wanted each of the blocks to be able to stand on it's own since some of them had a lot of little pieces and with only 2 colors many of them would kind of blend in to each other.

I also got the boys and I signed up for the Summer Reading Program at the library which is a time based system. Their push is for 1,000,000 minutes read during the summer, so the boys are supposed to read 20 minutes a day (can be family reading) and they get a prize for every 100 minutes, and the adults get a prize/drawing entry and a special task on a scratch card for every 250 minutes read. I got one to start off with and it was to read a book with an ugly cover. That was really hard for me, but thankfully the librarian said it could just be kind of a beat up book, too, since ugly is in the eye of the beholder. So I have started the first Hardy Boys book, because it has been well used. I think this will be a good way to get me more motivated to read. I like timers, so I will be able to mark off a circle on my sheet for every 25 minutes :) .

Then tomorrow, I have to kick my butt in gear and clean my living room, so I can get my quilt frame set up. Then I can get the Wedding Quilt on and Basted. Hopefully, by the time I'm done with that I will have a good idea of how to quilt it.

No comments: